Breastfeeding is one of the most natural ways to bond with your baby as you feed him/her. However, many women are finding it a little bit challenging. Experts recommend breastfeeding your child for at least 6 months before you switch to anything else and continue doing so for the next 1 year. If you are having trouble breastfeeding, you can hire a lactation consultant New York for help.
Who Is A Lactation Consultant?
A lactation consultant New York is a person who will help you in your breastfeeding efforts. They can also provide the relevant prenatal education as you are expecting. Don’t hire any lactation consultant off the street unless they have the right certification for the job.
Here are some of the best times you need to hire a lactation consultant.
• When you are expecting so that he/she can help you prepare physically and mentally for breastfeeding. During this time, the consultant should help you learn how to hold your baby for the optimal feeding results. Also, he/she will teach you how to handle your breast pump and the best time to pump.
• If you have poor milk supply so they can teach you how to get more of the milk out for the baby.
• If you are having trouble reaching the weight milestones for your baby so you can improve the feeding.
• If you are having troubles putting the baby in the right nursing position especially if you have gone through a caesarian section.
• If your baby continuously falls asleep at the breast rather than feeding.
• If your baby is having trouble breastfeeding.
• If you are having marathon breastfeeding sessions where you are feeling drained.
• If you are suffering from postpartum depression and any other physical barriers to breastfeeding.
Most lactation consultants in New York work independently but others work alongside doctors and nurses. Therefore, you need to do your research to find the best one.